Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Decorations

     Most landscapes have plants with in them so you can go right out in your yard and gather cuttings for seasonal decorations. And even in the dead of summer when we are out planting woody shrubbery I like to keep in mind what color it will give us in the middle of winter. And can the cuttings be used for lets say Christmas decorations. Many plants that surround us are in fact used for such purpose.  White pine,Holley, Mountain Laurel, Hemlock, Birch, Juniper, Red Twig Dog Wood and Summer Sweet are just a few. I still like the old home made Princess Pine Wreath. Its really Norfolk Pine though, I still do not know why most call it Princess Pine. Anyways Don't forget to support your local grower when purchasing any material for seasonal decorations. 16 Acres Garden is excellent as well as Graziano Gardens.

     Inflation is always on the minds of many during holiday shopping. Like for instance, the price of Christmas trees. And in fact when I was eight years old I remember my own father harping for days that the price of trees that year had gone from five dollars to eight dollars. So 38 years ago in 1971 my father and I went over to little stand on North Main St in East Longmeadow to purchase that years tree. And it was a god awful Scotch Pine. For Eight bucks. The stand was a little fruit stand where Stop and Shop is now. And a few years after that trees went to ten dollars. Tomorrow Mary and I will go and cut our tree for somewhere around $38 dollars. No complaining about price or inflation, just joy in another year of Christmas Decorating.

     Sam the adopted dog had a hot rough summer. Dealing with lime disease and fleas is a big issue. And where we live ticks are a major concern. We use Advantix on a regular basis and give him baths in an oatmeal solution. The black soap at Dave's Soda and Pet Food City is Excellent. Yet of course with the onset of winter Sam's Skin is very dry and he is constantly scratching. I still think I could some how change his diet to help with this issue and if any one has any good remedies please comment to me here on this blog so I can help Sam be a little more comfortable.

     In the coming days we will again start planning our menu for Christmas Eve. We celebrate a old Italian tradition that I will write about in a few days. La Vigilia, The feast of seven fish's will take us all back to our early days of family and friends. We always look forward to seeing Friends and family on Christmas Eve. So if your in the neighborhood, stop by.

                                                                          Eddie  Pagliaro

P.S. Where have you gone Marvlous Marvin Hagler?

No comments:

Post a Comment