Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blizzard Conditions

 

 Well I know it has been awhile, but the computer has been giving me problems and we think we might have them figured out. In the meantime, a true blizzard whipped through the Pioneer Valley spreading several inch's of snow over the landscape. I consider this the third blizzard I have worked in. And although I was only 15 in the 1978 storm, I still had a route of driveways to shovel. I also believe that's where my affection started with working outdoors. Anyway the next blizzard would be when I worked at Springfield College. A late March storm that piled the snow really fast like this last one. In which case, I think this storm dumped more snow in a shorter time frame then any other weather event I have ever seen. That was a lot of snow that just kept coming. And it does not matter how you removed it, you had to keep up with it. A very difficult storm that packed a tremendous punch. I hope everyone is shoveled and plowed out. The next task is to rake the snow off the roof to prevent ice dams from forming and hopefully keep water damage to a minimum. We will also keep treating steps and walks with ice melt. I really like Mag@Pellets. They do a terrific job on steps and entry ways while the Magnesium leaves a residue that has a long lasting effect. So I recommend them.

My other recommendations for the first of the year are, Auto Works on Pasco Rd. Great customer service and great quality work. Also the price is very fair.
Hampden House Cafe. Excellent service and great food at a reasonable price. Although Mary's meatballs are way better.
The guy at the Sears@ garden center and tool area has great customer skills and have seen him help many people there including myself.

You all have heard of the dog days of summer, well I call these the dog days of winter. And if you work outside in the landscape I think you know what I mean.

Another snow removal project is to clear an area for Sam the Dog. It's to high and Sam has trouble drugging through it.

We will start planning out our garden for next year soon. And in February we will start our seedlings of vegetables and flowers.

We have not yet begun with winter pruning, but it is on our mines and wonder what to start with. We will most likely start with clean up cuts to the yews, Holley and then start to remove older canes of the forsythia, burning bush and other woody ornamental s. Then late February early March we will start pruning our flowering fruit trees. So you can say we are gearing up for another season.

Finento. I started the year with my duty as a citizen and wrote to the City of Springfield Massachusetts about their Strategic Action Plan. I feel the plan is an excellent guideline for the city to use and feel Mayor Sarno keeps doing a fantastic job for the city. I appreciate his administration developing a plan and seeking feed back. Again I felt the plan was fine as is and just wanted to add my two cents. So my suggestions that I wrote to the city are, Streamline D.P.W. and Park and Rec. by selling one of the two municipal golf courses. Putting G.P.S. tracking systems in all municipal vehicles to improve efficiency. Build an arboretum at one of the cities parks.
Move Bright Nights downtown by the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. Along the water front.
Hold a horse or farm fair at one of the cities middle schools.
Implement Workforce@ controls in the schools to better track teachers sick and vacation time and performance.
Create a sustainable community with in the downtown that has housing, shopping, healthcare, ect. all in one location.
More after school programs.

 Well that's all for know, Enjoy the sites of winter, while hoping for a early spring.

                               Eddie Pagliaro

P.S.Get well Congress woman Giffords, you are a national hero to me and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment