Friday, November 26, 2010

Dormant

Pretty much all plant material and turf has gone dormant for the season. The trees have all shed their leafs and are ready for the long winter. Many grounds people talk about putting things to bed this time of year. It might be over seeding and fertilizing the turf to healing in perennial and small shrubs to a final watering of new trees and shrubbery in the landscape. But yes you do need to help the items in your garden or landscape go to bed. When a plant goes dormant it will often look dead or sleeping. But as long as the ground is not frozen the root system will still be taking in plenty of nutrients. And that's why it is most important you water a new tree or shrub in your garden. This helps the plant with valuable water right before the ground freezes. Also apply (k) or phosphorus to the lawn area.This will greatly help feed a damaged lawn while providing the roots with the tools it needs to keep growing. And mulch in or heal in any plant that struggles Thur these long cold New England winters.

The garden centers and local farm stands have all transformed by now to the holiday mode. And yet when you are buying those Christmas plants and decorations again I beg of you to buy a the local level. And by that I mean a garden center that is locally owned, not the big box Home Depot or Lowe's. Also a real Christmas tree is always a good way to support local agriculture.

As the seasons change so does life. and unfortunately always not for the good. But it is what we do with these changes that broaden us and being able to get up when you are down is what strengthens us. Sometimes you just have to ride the storm out.
The last of the Pagliaro original family died last month. Again my father was one of 11 children and his youngest sister passed on. The last one. I can still smell the home made pasta in Aunt Jennies kitchen on Saturdays when we visited. A smell I will never forget.

Holiday shopping is really never a fun thing for me. Yet I have already started. I found a nice little tree company that is local and have already purchased several items as gifts. Although this company is not growing local plants and trees, his material is far better than items I have ordered Thur large growers over he Internet. So in a way he is our local representative to the large grower of small material I am looking for.

In finishing, I have taken up my once again hobby of a lobbyist. My latest project, a baseball tournament in Springfield failed. Yet I am still working on proposing an outdoor skating rink at Forest Park during Bright Nights. Creating a Arboretum in Springfield. Hold a Springfield Derby for horses in Springfield. And developing a Web site. So I have been busy while not working on the blog.

Up Next Bulbs and daffodils.

Yes Gordon Ligtfoot, the Gaels of November have come crashing.


                                             Eddie Pags

No comments:

Post a Comment