Thursday, February 2, 2012

Urban Trees

American Sycamore, Plantanus occidentalis
There are many different varieties of trees that are well suited for urban planting. Many serve a greater purpose then just the shade they provide. Arborist for years have chosen  the American Sycamore for it's bark features but also for the specimens ability to filter dirty air. The large leafs of this tree will provide the atmosphere a cleaning tool for smog and other urban type smells. While it is sometimes confused with the London Planetree  it's bark is creamery. Also this specimen will grow from 75 to 100 feet high and 50 feet wide.
Bark of the American Sycamore














Pin Oak, Quercus Palustris
 Another top consumer tree that is often found in the urban setting is the Pin Oak. This tree is very easy to grow in any condition and is resistant to drought and disease.It is great for street planting as the roots will tend to grow straight down and not buckle walks or roads. In most case's the lower part of the canopy on the Pin Oak needs up lifting as the lower limbs will hang down and cause visual problems. Put this tree can handle this type of pruning with ease. Some varieties will hold on to their leafs until the buds begin to swell in the spring.

Fact: A well maintained shade tree can cool the atmosphere around it by 16 degrees. Hows that for urban air conditioning.

My bike and I.

There were a lot of comments about the picture I posted of me on my bike on Facebook last week-end. And many had merit in terms of my safety. Up until a few years ago I had not ridden a bike in quite some time. It wasn't until Mary had bought me my current bike ( Grease Lightning ) that I had even thought of riding a bicycle again. But back in the day, if I was going anywhere, I was going on a bike. If it was not my bike then may-be one of my brothers or friends. Often I would build other bikes just to make sure I had a bike. I always went anywhere on my bike. And if all else failed I would borrow a bike and return it with out anyone even knowing. This would happen when ever I had to get to the 16 Acres Center real fast. In fact one time a local kid organized a 15 mile bicycle race through the neighborhood. The summer Olympics must have been on and that was our excitement for this one summer day. Well the rules are 10 speeds only. Well I borrow a 10 speed and off to race I go. With out any competition I crush the field of the other 6 riders and off to Veterans Golf Course for my winnings of a free Slush Puppy. 

Rest in Peace Angelo Dundee, a great boxing trainer.

Let's Go GIANTS clap clap clap clap clap clap!
Let's Go GIANTS clap clap clap clap clap clap!

The original Eduardo


No comments:

Post a Comment