Friday, May 4, 2012

The Reel Mower & Kentuckty Derby Picks

The Great States reel mower.
I picked up this push reel mower last year on the tree belt with a sign on it that said free. So I figured I would try it out this spring. After several adjustments to the bed knife, I believe I have it cutting a lot more then ripping. It is also cutting a lot lower then a rotary mower would with out scalping. I have to mow it every day to keep up with the amount of new growth, if not the machine would be to hard to push through the thick turf. While I am not looking for a golf fairway quality cut, I sure am getting it to tighten up to the shorter setting of the reel and the wooden roller. It is also a great way to save on gas and carbon emissions if you are into saving the environment. And although I am mowing my lawn every day with it, I would guess I would save  the gas of at least three mowing s to my front lawn. Yes I also guess I am a little bit of a freak and really do not need to mow the lawn with it every day. But it looks cool and it gives the neighbors something to talk about. Plus it is a great work out.

Another year and another Kentucky Derby. Yes folks, the one thing that can be counted on in the longest tradition of sports. The first Saturday of May kicks of the chance for a triple crown, but also brings the fastest 2 minutes in sports. There are several good horses this year and any one of about 10 horses in this years race can win the run for the roses. A very difficult race to handicap this year, and hard to choose a favorite of my own. I did not get to see all the Derby preps that I usually do but still saw my fair share. And starting with the Breeders Cup last year I had a feeling that the field was going to be full of top quality thorough breads that have qualified. Hanson as been a crowd favorite I would say because of the all white color of the horses coat. A beautiful horse that has won and has the speed for this race, I just do not think it can handle the distance. Also there a lot of big horses and I have fallen in love with a long shot by the name of El Padrino. I will play this horse across the board and hope it can hang in there until the stretch. Then we will have to see, but I think this horse will have it in him if he is close.Dullahan is another horse I like, but I do not like that is is more of a turf or poly track horse. But this horse does have a great spirit and a will to win. I will also bet Take Charge Indy with Calvin Borel aboard in a tri fecta with Union Rags, ( another fan Favorite ) and maybe Bodemeister. Also Alpha and Gemologist are contenders and could receive strong support for place and show bets. But there is something about El Padrino that I like, and most times when I like a horse it is because they never seem bothered by anything and are in tune with why they are there. This horse loves to run and be in the spot light. This horse loves the human interaction and will either finish dead last because he is too busy looking at everything, or will finish right up at the top of the field because he has something to prove to his fans. The last horse I saw that I liked for these reasons was Drosselmeyer who won the Belmont. Although these two horses are physically different they seem to have that same attitude.

Next week we will discuss annual flower bed preparation and soil amendments. Good luck with the vegetable seedlings, I hope this years crop is abundant.

                                                              Edward Pagliaro C.G.M.

P.S. Don't forget to look for the man on the moon tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment