Saturday, February 12, 2011

Winter Pruning

Now that the weather pattern has seemed to changed we are finally starting our winter pruning chores. And many plants and trees are still covered in snow and are not very accessible. So we have started on trees that are along tee belts and are in need of serious corrective pruning. Way to often a tree in the nursery will get pruned just for the sake of pruning it and or the nursery is trying to make the tree appear fuller to the consumer at the local garden center or large box store. I like to call these topping cuts that if not corrected will only cause future problems for the tree and groundskeeper. So that's what we have started on. As the winter comes to a close, ( I hope ) and spring evolves we will get into much more serious thinning and structural pruning of all our small trees and shrubs. We leave our larger items to our vendor Chris Frank from C.L. Frank & Co. I like to give all our plant material a good inspection and pruning before they start growing and while we are not that busy. My only hope is the weather holds up. After the brutal winter, everything will need attention. So removal of damaged shrub ends to thinning older canes is all required before the middle of March. So time to get going.The dogg daze may be finally over.


The green house at 16 Acres Garden Center is starting to get active with different annuals being plugged. And while you may be thinking of buying your gal a dozen roses for Valentines day. Why don't you think about a nice indoor plant that will sustain for a lifetime when taken care of instead of the roses that will only get throw away. Many of the plants provide different shades of red that also allow you to be selective with your choices.

Well spring is on the way, I can feel it in the position of the sun every day. And with that we will be reviewing the landscape of the Kentucky Derby field. I already like Zito's horse. Dialed In Looked like something I have not seen in a while in a race. I can't explain it yet but he may be the one.

Fineto

Over the holidays several pictures were exchanged. None more profound then the picture I gave my good brother in - law Bill . A picture of his father at the helm of the Lily-Bee in Long Island Sound almost put that man to his knees. Thats a story for another time. I also received a picture this past holiday of a group of men with myself in the center. These men are just a partial sampling of a group of men know as my boys. For many years I coached a group of boys and young men that built the bonds of brother hood that will never be for gotten. Now through all the years there were great times and fun times. There were championship seasons and last place finish's. And there was one suicide that rocked the community pillars so much that the only thing that could save us was the sport and games we kept providing for our youth. And even though not all of my boys were on that one team. They have all built a huge respect for me as well as I have for them. And everyday I think of all the successful young men or boys I coached and miss the opportunity to provide the atmosphere where it's mostly fun, but the lesson of hard work will pay of with success with in the lines. The past fall we attended 2 weddings. And both men getting married were my boy's, and the theme from the speech of the best man and father of the bride in one case was hard work. I am glad I rubed off on some one, because I certainly don't know about this blog.

                                           Arivedarici, Eddie Pags

P.S. MaMa just took my Koda Krome away Paul Simon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment